Advice from the Master


b
y Flora Posey

At this year's Southern Christian Writers Conference, I was asked, “Why do you write?” Before I attended, I would have said I write to offer people an alternative to the secular books in stores. My books would still be secular, but they would be clean, unoffensive, and maybe even contain traces of Christian theology.
Attendees enjoy a session at the
2023 Southern Christian Writers Conference


While I had always wanted to write professionally, I couldn’t find peace about it, not the kind of peace that God gives. Before attending the conference, writing clean, moral, secular books was MY desire, but I wanted God to bless it. Until then, I had not been willing to consider anything else.

The Thursday before the conference, I took a hard look at the battle I had been fighting for years. I had put so much hope in the next two days that I was terrified of continuing the fight when the conference was over.  So, sitting alone in my hotel room, I had a much-needed conversation with God. I had been avoiding this conversation for years. However, it was long past time I laid down MY pen and surrendered.

My greatest desire as a writer was to have my stories published. That Thursday, I prayed that  I could look beyond that and have the same desires as God, no matter what that meant.

Throughout the conference, God wasn’t subtle as he spoke to me through the wisdom and words of his children. God confirmed that while he did want me to write, he wanted me to write His stories.  While the speakers poured writing advice into us, he used their words and convictions to advise me about his plan for my life. 

As I sat listening to Bruce Barbour, his words struck a cord. “People are going to Hell daily, and we’ve been given a gift to help lead them to God. If not us, who? If not now, when?” 

Another great speaker, Stephanie Rodda, said, “You are not just a writer but a Christian, and everything you do should be done with excellence.”

In every session I attended, I heard statement after statement about using my God-given gift in a way that honored Him. While writing clean secular books is good, I no longer felt like it was excellent. I felt like there was more. When I was asked, “In what direction is your writing going?” I knew my answer. 

God had given me a story, and in my stubbornness,  I had refused. It was the one story I did not want to write. It was a story about my struggles with mental illness and how it affected my faith. 

If I wrote it, I would have to go to dark places I didn’t want to revisit.

I still struggled with anger toward God. How would the story end when I was still living it? I used every excuse I could, that is, until I got tired of fighting. 
Christian publisher & agent Bruce Barbour
 presents his keynote address at the SCWC. 

When the conference started, I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was I felt weary and ready to be done doing things my way. In two short days, God had spoken to my heart and changed my desires to align with his. I no longer felt like God was asking too much of me or requiring me to give up my dreams for him, but rather, my dreams and his were the same.

I had no game plan as I walked into my one-on-one consultation with Bruce Barbour. I didn’t bring in a one-sheet or any sheet. I came to him with no more than an outline of an idea.

What I thought would be a five-minute consult turned into nearly twenty-five minutes. I was blown away by the encouragement and wisdom I received. Walking to my car, I could feel God whisper in my heart. 

“Finally, you heard me. I knew you’d get here.” 

 Leaving my first-ever Southern Christian Writers Conference, I was blown away by the in-depth information I received about writing and the industry. Still, I walked away with even more. I left the conference knowing my purpose. God revealed his plan for me, and I gained contentment and confirmation about that plan. He said trust and obey me. When I finally did, I discovered that was the best advice I had ever received. 

~~~~~~

Flora Posey has been in love with creative writing since she was twelve years old. As a teenager, she used her love of poetry to help manage her anxiety and OCD. When her thoughts became too hectic, she would put them on the page to sort out later. Writing became a way for her to express emotions that were hard to verbally explain.  She lives in Northport, Alabama, with her husband Justin, who just happens to be her good and perfect gift from God. She spends her time between her day job as an office manager, playing with her three dogs, and learning as much as she can about not only God but who she is in him.




Comments

  1. So inspiring, Flora! So glad God's set you on His path. I know your words will help many.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts