How to Build a Writing Support Network


 by Laura Lee Leathers

My goal in life was not to be a freelance writer—my dream since high school was to be an executive secretary. But when January of 1995 arrived, I dealt with God’s call to be involve with women’s ministry.

Because of the call, I enrolled in women’s ministry classes offered by New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS). Professor Dr. Rhonda Kelley told us about Just Between Us Magazine (JBU) in one of the classes. She encouraged her students to subscribe because it was specifically for women who were engaged in reaching and leading women for Christ.

I subscribed!

Then, someone recommended I attend the Southern Christian Writers Conference in June 2000. It was more out of curiosity than really thinking about being a writer. I took the workshop offered by Cheryl Wray about writing articles for magazines.

When I returned home, I thought, wouldn’t it be great to write an article about Dr. Rhonda Kelley and her role in women’s ministry, specifically focusing on receiving a certification or a degree in women’s ministry?

And where would I share this idea? Yes, you guessed it, with the editor, Shelly Esser, at JBU. I boldly sent off a pitch, and to my amazement, Shelly liked the idea. I had my first assignment!

Fear gripped my heart. What had I done? I wanted to withdraw my idea, or perhaps someone else could take it and run with it.

However, I had committed, and I needed to persevere. The questions were all prepared, the interview was set up with Dr. Kelley, and then the task of transcribing the notes and putting the article together. I realized that I loved doing the interview and learning the story behind the story.

But here is the point! If it hadn’t been for Dr. Kelley, a well-established author, I don’t think my article would have made it to print. She graciously and patiently worked with me. Dr. Kelley suggested how to tweak various parts of the 2500-word article.

Dr. Kelley became my writing mentor. Since then, I’ve learned a few things about the importance of building a writing support network. I call them my building blocks.


Building Block A – A Scribe with & 4  HIM

As a writer, I must recognize that I am a writer with God & 4 HIM. The scribes in the Old Testament had several roles, but their main job was to transcribe the manuscripts perfectly.

As writers with God, we are responsible for sharing His message with a hurting world, showing them that Jesus is the way, truth, and life. I realize I can’t write unless He equips and empowers.

I use the 4 HIM because the number four means creativity in the Bible. Who gives us the ideas, the ability to form and place words, His Word, on a blank computer word document? God! Why?

Because it is all about bringing Him glory.

We connect with other Christ followers, scribes with Him for support, encouragement, and critiques. We need each other!


Building Block – B – Be in the Word

As writers, we must saturate our minds and hearts daily with the Word, not devotionals. Write down those passages the Holy Spirit brings to your attention. For example, what is He teaching you about sin, forgiveness, and prayer? What He shows you, may become an article or used in a book.

Be in prayer and ask for prayer support. That is what makes writing in the Christian market so unique. I have several friends who are not writers who are my prayer support team. They also read my articles, point out errors, and offer encouragement.


Building Block – C – Attend Conferences and Retreats

At the first SCWC I attended, I was like a fish out of water, Greek to me. I had no business cards, no one-sheets, and no expectations. I went to get information, which I did. But God did more than I could have imagined. He brought connections, stirred my creativity, and showed me what genre to focus on.

Today, I force myself out of my comfort zone. I ask questions, share and collect business cards, offer encouragement, and learn about other writers’ stories.

Conferences usually last for several days and have a variety of workshops and a lineup of faculty members. A more casual retreat allows time to write, share with other writers, and maybe get the creativity flowing.

For me, it is about the connections or networking. At this age and stage of my life, I want to encourage and invest in that young woman who knows God has called her to write but is hesitant.


Building Block – D – Develop A Network of Other Writers

Where would I be today in my writing endeavors if it weren’t for people like Dr. Kelley? I am blessed beyond measure with the friendships of other women who have been mentors, investing in me in many ways. I am eternally grateful.

Join a writer’s group or create one. The first writer’s group I joined was Soul Scribblers’ in Jackson, Mississippi. Even though that group no longer meets, we stay connected and encourage each other. God has moved several of us into full-time writing. Networking is essential! I am involved in social media writing groups and critique groups.


Building Block – E – Enlist an Accountability Partner or a Group

Who do you have in your life that asks you the hard questions? Questions like: How are you growing in your relationship with Christ? What have you written today? How are you balancing family and writing?

I attended a conference where the keynote speaker challenged us to B-I-C every day. Meaning, put your Bottom in the Chair and write. (For those who stand and write, you can change the acronym.)

I have an accountability group of three individuals—one lives in Georgia, another in Alabama, and myself in Mississippi. We try to do a weekly Friday evening email update telling what we are working on, what we submitted, and prayer requests. Then, we do a Zoom meeting once a month.

Also, join a critique group locally or Word Weavers International. They have online groups or in-person groups.


Building Block – F – Friend

If we met in person, I would ask you to raise your hand if you are an extrovert. Who are the introverts? Usually, the audience is composed of introverts. Therefore, introverts are happy to be by themselves and simply write. But you need to create and enjoy times with others—refreshment.

Some of my closest friends have been made because of a conference or a retreat. We’ve stayed connected for over twenty years. We talk the same language, applaud and rejoice over each other's successes, learn from each other, and we are there for each other when discouragement comes.

Remember, you are not alone. Others are experiencing the same thing.

When rejection comes (and it will come many times throughout your years of writing) remember that it is God’s redirection. You need another writer friend who understands the disappointment and encourages you to move forward, not to quit.

Facetime, phone calls, social media, cards, and letters are all ways to connect. I love the phrase, “To have a friend, you must be a friend,” and it’s true with writing friends. 


Building Block – G – Growth

Find ways to hone the craft of writing and speaking. Know your weaknesses and your strengths.

Evaluate the following questions, write your answers, and review them often.

~ How has God gifted you?

~ What are your life experiences, and how can you use them in your writing to show how

God has worked in your life?

~ What are you called to write: fiction or non-fiction, poetry, speeches, or Bible studies?


Looking back over my years of writing, I would say the most significant growth area occurred when God moved me out of my comfort zone.

When I have a creative idea, I act upon it because I believe God gave me that idea for a reason. It is up to Him to place it and use it for His kingdom purposes.

What additional building blocks would you add? You have nineteen more letters to consider.

Here’s a start..

I for  Inspiration 

M for  Mentor 

Z for Zeal

It is important to remember that building a writing career With & 4 HIM comes in God’s timing and for His purposes; trust in your calling, rely on that timing, and find a network that can support and teach you  as you continue on your writing journey. And most importantly-- Make sure your foundation is built upon Jesus, the chief cornerstone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Laura Lee Leathers is a writer, speaker, and writing mentor. Imagine Lois Lane, over sixty-five and living on a farm. Her metropolis is the area of freelance writing, and her primary love interest is the Word of God. She digs for information, interviews fascinating people, offers a cup of biblical hospitali-tea, encourages, and helps others with the "how to"s of life. Contact her at laura.l.leathers@gmail.com or www.lauraleeleathers.com.


Comments

  1. Great reminders! Accountability is definitely a necessity to keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts