Our latest ebook! Read a story from Unexpected: Flash Fiction with a Twist


The Southern Christian Writers Conference offers attendees at its annual gathering the opportunity to get published in ebook and paperback publications each year. It's our way of encouraging our members to write, and then celebrating their achievements.

The first of our two 2023 publications is now available by ebook on Amazon, and we can't wait for you to read its wonderful stories.

Unexpected: Flash Fiction with a Twist is a collection of eleven super short stories (under 800 words) that have an unexpected plot twist in the end. It is currently available on Amazon for just $2.99, and free using Kindle Unlimited. Check it out on Amazon HERE. 

We wanted to share one of our favorite stories from the collection with you here on the blog. G.R. Smith's "Be Still and Know" is wonderfully written and really makes you think--something we hope all of these stories do for its readers. Other stories in the collection are written by Pat Dewees, Kristy Ensor, Dorothy Gable, Paige Hamilton, Alaina Juneau, Sharon Kaye, Sue Mohr, Cathy Posey, Janet Vrba, and Cheryl Wray.


"Be Still and Know"

by G. R. Smith

"Who is that?

"It's just me, Mamaw."

“My goodness, it’s cold and damp. If I didn’t know better, I’d say it was October. What are you doing out here in the middle of the night? Don’t you want to come in where it’s warm? There’s some of that cake left. So much food in there. Ten families couldn’t eat it.”

“No ma’am. I’m fine. I’m not hungry. I’ll come in sometime.”

“It’s so dark. What time is it anyway?”

“Time? I don’t know…I know Papaw told me that the best time for hunting treasure is dark thirty.”

“Well, Papaw should know, I suppose. Is that what you’re doing? Looking for gold out here because of some crazy story Papaw told you? I never heard that there was any treasure lying around on this old farm. Come on in and dry off at least. Phew! Just hear the dew dripping off those fig leaves. Treasure? Come on in, Jody. Warm cake is better than any pirate gold Jean Lafitte buried under a sycamore. Cake is certain anyway.”

“No, ma’am, if it’s all right with you. I’m looking, Mamaw. Just looking. Papaw told me I was bound to find everything if I just looked hard enough. He said if you look for something long enough, pretty soon or pretty late, you’ll be looking at something.”

“Crazy man. Crazy old man. Well, then, are you looking for something? Or are you looking at something?”

“A little bit of both, I reckon. I’m just looking.”

“Here, I’ll trade you. Your handkerchief for a taste of my warmed-up coffee. I stirred in some heavy cream.”

"No, Mamaw. A gentleman wouldn't hinder a lady's pleasure. That coffee's yours. Here. Papaw game me this handkerchief when I was twelve. Remember? He wanted me to be a gentleman."

“Crazy old man. There’s plenty here for both of us. I never could tell Papaw, but I always liked yesterday’s coffee the best, warmed-up with lots of good cream and extra sugar. What do you hear? Did Papaw say something about listening, too? What is that—there rustling in the cedar break?”

“Something’s waking up. That’s sure. I’m listening, but I’m too busy looking to hear. See? See? Lean forward. Look right under that big limb. See?”

“Well, Jody, all I can see is that it’s dark. It’s dark. It’s dark as a tunnel—dark as a cave.”

“Yes, ma’am, it’s dark, but it’s not pitch dark. See there, under that old live oak limb? You’ll see it in a minute. There, just there. It’s right there, shiny like when Papaw sharpened the edge on his hoe. Wait just a minute, and it’ll be silver like those church pearls Papaw gave you last summer. Now, Mamaw. Keep on watching. I believe Papaw. Riches stored in the dark so long are bound to come pouring out. Jean Lafitte’s gold and starry rubies and Geronimo’s turquoise can’t hold a candle.”

“Well, then, I can watch a minute more.”

“Mamaw, you got to watch.”

“Well, I am. I am.”

“Remember that time Papaw told me, ‘When God tips the coffers up in heaven,’ he said, ‘then, let me tell you, everybody gets excited like you never heard. That’s when the music’s righteous and the listening gets good. Why, it’s almost as exciting as Mamaw singing us in to supper.’”

“Did he really say all that? Did he?”

“That’s what he told me. ‘Right here where the black sky touches the black earth, you need to keep looking for treasure, boy. You find it when the night sky presses down close.’… That’s what he said, anyway. Maybe I can take a little sip of your coffee, now, Mamaw. Mmmm. That’s good. The cream swirled in that black brew is what makes it so good. Here, now. Are you cold, Mamaw?”

“Nooo, this old mug has always kept my fingers warm come cold days, Jody.”

“Yes ma’am, I reckon. Wait, look… Jesus is breaking open Glory, Mamaw. Watch now. Be sad to miss it after looking so hard and waiting so long. The Lord is about to move and open heaven, and I for one, am not in any tearing hurry to close it back up, hoping for a different light. We looked for it long enough. It’s about time to look at it. It’s finally time to listen. Let’s sip our coffee right here in the quiet until…Here it comes. Here it comes. Here it comes. The ruby and the gold. And the blue and the singing. Listen, Mamaw. Listen…I do believe I can hear a skylark’s call and a red bird’s.”

“Why, Jody—you are right. Accompanied by a handsome young warbler and an old barn sparrow.”

“Listen! It’s a song about home, Mamaw. Home.”

(G. R. Smith has worked as an educator for more than 30 years in Louisiana and East Texas. His three self-published novels are Common Tinder: Uncommon Fire; The Love Song of Lily Bliss Walker; and Broussard Road. He's also written a children's book and collection of short stories.)

~~~~~~~

Get your copy of the ebook now (it can be read on a Kindle device, computer, tablet, or smart phone), and be looking for the paperback in December. Our second 2023 SCWC publication, In the Garden, comes out on Amazon in November; we can't wait for you to also read this collection of short stories and poetry inspired by nature.

And, keep writing!



Comments

Popular Posts