Read our September writing challenge winners

Our September Writing Challenge was a poetry challenge, and we're excited to share the winning poems with you.

(Note: we post monthly writing challenges in the Southern Christian Writers Conference Facebook group and invite our members to contribute their finished work to us. If you're not part of the Facebook group, go join it HERE and keep up with the challenges, news about SCWC events, and other online activities.)

The challenge for September? Write a poem about seasons. A season of the year, a season of life...however you wanted to interpret what a "season" means to you.

Congratulations to our winners!


1st place: Frankie Tatum

2nd place: Susan Hester

3rd place: Tera Lee


Enjoy their winning poems below.


"Cycles, Circles"

by Frankie Tatum


Seasons, work of the Creator,

Set in motion

Cycles

Spinning, flowing,

Creating

Promise, hope, birth, life,

Growth, decline, decay, death –

To be born again.


Seasons, Cycles, Circles,

The Creator’s promise,

The Alpha and the Omega

Of life everlasting.


"The Season of Your Passing"

by Susan Hester 


The winds of our yesterdays

Now carry the moisture of my tears

While fading sunset rays

Cast shadows on fresh gravestones

I sway to the loss in my heart's fears

And feel the emptiness settle in my bones

I have no more tomorrows

Now that you are gone


"Winter"

by Tera Lee


It's winter.

It's cold, and I am an oak.

Barren, leafless, dark, broken, and sad.

But my roots are alive.

My roots are strong.

My roots reach down for things unknown.

Searching for nutrients.

Searching for life.

Gripping at the things that are just out of sight and holding on oh so tight.

Winter moved forward, and spring arrives.

The days grow warmer.

I feel alive.

My roots grasp nutrients from below.

My branches stretch to the sun.

From my branches, small buds of life appear.

They stretch and open wide.

Everywhere, new life.

I have found from deep within, reaching towards the sun who give life once again.

Rains may come, and winds may blow.

But the sun will always be there, behind the cloud, shining brightly upon my boughs.


Congratulations to Frankie, Susan, and Tera! Your words made us pause to ponder about the seasons in our life, and we celebrate your creativity!

Join us for our upcoming monthly writing challenges, and email us at anytime at scwritersconference@gmail.com with questions about the challenges and other SCWC activities and events.





Comments

Popular Posts