Vanessa Griggs is ready to inspire at the SCWC Virtual Fiction Workshop

The 2023 SCWC Virtual Fiction Workshop is fast approaching, and we're excited about all of the leaders and sessions we have planned for the December 9 event. 

Vanessa Griggs will be presenting a session on "Plotting Your Novel," alongside six other sessions on a variety of topics of interest to Christian fiction writers. Vanessa's expertise and knowledge in teaching this session comes from decades of experience as an award-winning novelist of inspirational fiction. Her books include Wings of Grace, Blessed Trinity, The Truth is the Light, Ray of Hope, and Redeeming Waters. Her book The Other Side of Divine was a 2013 Romantic Times finalist for Best Multicultural Fiction. Vanessa is also a sought-out motivational speaker, and we know she's going to inspire our workshop participants!

(The Virtual Fiction Workshop will be broadcast LIVE on Saturday, Dec. 9 from 9 a.m to 7 p.m. You can watch it "as it happens" in our private workshop Facebook group. or later at your convenience. it includes seven instructional sessions plus interactive activities all day long. To participate, fill out the REGISTRATION FORM HERE.)

We recently talked with Vanessa about the workshop and her own journey as a novelist.

How did you first start writing novels?

I started writing novels by having a love of reading. When it comes to writing, I remember being in high school and writing stories without the benefit of the "how to" techniques. I even tried to get published with what was called Harper & Row. The first book I wrote that was in print was DESTINY UNLIMITED--one I published under my own publishing company after meeting a man at a writer's conference held at


Birmingham Southern College. I've written and published 18 novels (two with BET Books, 12 with Kensington) and a few nonfiction books and short stories.

What is your favorite part of being a writer?

I love being able to encourage, enlighten, inform, entertain, and make a difference in a reader's life because of what God has given me to share. It's a blessing when I hear how what I've written has impacted someone in a positive way. I also love having the opportunity to meet folks I otherwise never would have because of the doors my books open for me. I love seeing what was originally only an idea (shown in my mind as my personal movie) take on its own life.

I don't want to spoil your session on "plotting your book," but could you provide a tip or two about how to plot out a novel?

Know what you want to accomplish before you begin. I like to say whatever you desire, see the end from the beginning. Keep in mind that a novel has tendency to take on a life of its own, so what you THINK is going to happen, just like life, may take over and surprise even you the creator.

What part does faith play in your writing?

Faith plays a huge part in both my real life and in the words of fiction I create. Without faith, it is impossible to please God! You have to see it before you see it, then you'll see it!

What piece of advice would you give to someone who wants to write fiction but hasn't done so yet?

Do it! Jump in the water because the water is waiting to carry you places. It might require you to create an outline to get you going or keep you on track. I'm not big on outlines. I generally see the story in my mind, let it simmer, and when it's ready to come out, it boils out on the pages (or screen).

What else would you like our members to know about you?

I love playing board games and the games of my youth with my grandchildren. We'll play checkers (regular and Chinese) and card games like Slam. I have several boxes of Monopoly, The Game of Life. I'm that person who will buy chalk and draw a hopscotch on the sidewalk or driveway. I love to cook and bake. Recently, I've gotten back to doing many of the things I love doing after leaving a job I had originally gone to work park-time and stayed for almost 8 years. Now I'm back to speaking at conferences and writing what I want when I want. But I'm all about making memories. That's something money can't buy--time and laughter with loved ones and friends.

~~~~~~~~~

Learn more about Vanessa at her website, and sign up today to participate in the Virtual Fiction Workshop. It's going to be a wonderful time of learning and fellowship! Sign up by using our registration form.  At just $30, it's a great value for a wealth of instruction.

Email us at scwritersconference@gmail.com if you have any questions; and join our wonderful community on Facebook if you're not a member already.





Comments

Popular Posts