Wendy Lanier: "Writing for children is a high calling"

2023 SCWC Virtual Fiction Workshop leader Wendy Lanier shares her wisdom 

about writing children's books

We recently had the chance to talk with Wendy Hinote Lanier, one of the leaders for our upcoming Virtual Fiction Workshop.

Wendy is a prolific author of children's books who will be leading a session on "Writing Fiction for Young Readers" for the Dec. 9 live online workshop. (Register for the workshop HERE.)  Wendy is the author of more than 40 nonfiction books for children, and now writes fiction stories. Her latest picture books include Too Many Pigs in the Pool and The Dog that Gave my Brother Words. She's a former elementary science teacher and native Texan who credits her years in the classroom for knowing what kids wonder about. (You can learn more about her at her website HERE.)

Get to know Wendy, then sign up for the Virtual Fiction Workshop to learn more from her experience and knowledge. (The SCWC Virtual Fiction Workshop includes seven different workshop sessions and runs from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., with live videos and interactive activities all day long.)

How/when did you first start writing children's books?

I started writing in the third grade, and I kept spiral notebooks of all my stories and poems all through high school and college. Children’s picture books were always a great love of mine, although I’m not sure at what point I decided to focus on writing them. During my teaching years, my writing took a backseat to other endeavors. But, in 2000, a childhood friend encouraged me to get back to my original writing dreams. Since then, I’ve written over 45 books for kids including many nonfiction books, two picture books, and a middle grade devotional with my writing buddy Michelle Medlock Adams.

Why do you enjoy writing for children?

As a former teacher I understand the power of good children’s literature. I’ve seen how books can unlock a whole new world for kids, and I want to be part of that. Now, more than ever, we need good quality stories and informational books for children that inspire and encourage them to be all they can be.

What is your writing routine like?

I wish I was disciplined enough to have a regular writing routine, but I don’t. Deadlines are a tremendous motivator. I tend to get more done whenever I have a contract and a deadline. That said, I usually do SOMETHING writerly every day. And it’s not unusual for me to amble into my office at 8 or 9 p.m. to START my writing day. If it goes well, I might write until 2 a.m. As you might guess, I’m a night owl. Definitely not a morning person.

What is an important piece of advice that aspiring children's authors need to know?

Writing for children is a high calling. It’s important work. But, right now, it’s really not easy. Changes in the publishing world and our current economy have made it very difficult (not impossible) to get published. The best advice I can give an aspiring children’s writer right now is to work on your craft and commit your efforts to the Lord. See Psalm 37:5 and Proverbs 3:6.

What do you hope to teach participants of your SCWC workshop?

It’s always hard to decide what to cover in a session like this. I have no way of knowing the level of expertise of those in attendance. With this in mind, I’ve tried to cover information that I believe is essential to the craft. I hope it proves to be a treasure trove of information for the newcomers and a good reminder (or maybe new information) of some key components to more seasoned writers.

What else would you like us to know about you?

I’m a Texas girl through and through having been born and raised here. I’m an only child who never wanted a brother or sister—just a puppy. I’ve been married to my best friend for 35 years, and we have two girls. Our oldest is my stepdaughter (who was adopted by my husband and his first wife), and our youngest is my biological daughter. My husband tells people we have one domestic and one imported. I did finally get my puppy. Actually, puppies. Some are gone now, but we currently have two little rescues who make our lives brighter every day. I always have multiple projects in the works. Right now, I’m writing some devotions for a release next year and an article for a December publication. There are also a couple of projects currently under consideration with the publisher of my first picture book. And I’ve made a deal with myself to do the necessary revisions and proposals for some stuff that’s been on my “to do” list for a while now. The goal is to be ready to submit as soon as the holidays are over.


The SCWC Virtual Fiction Workshop takes place on Saturday, Dec. 9 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. It takes place live in a private Facebook group (you'll be given access to the group the day before the workshop begins). You can watch the workshop live, or you can watch it at later date as the group and all recordings will be saved. There will also be interactive activities during the day for participants. Sessions include: The Importance of Inspirational Fiction (w/Tiffany Norris), Plotting your Novel (w/Vanessa Griggs), Creating Compelling Characters (w/Ellen Sallas), Writing Fiction for Young Readers (w/Wendy Lanier), Writing Romance (w/Rachel Good), Finding your Voice (w/Janyre Tromp), and Marketing your Books (w/Tanya Eavenson). 

Register today to participate; the workshop costs just $30 and is accessible to you live or forever at your own schedule. Pay via Venmo to @SCWC-Conference or PayPal to scwritersconference@gmail.com. Registration form is HERE to signup.

We look forward to being with you, and learning together from Wendy and the other leaders.



Comments

Popular Posts