'Unto us a child is born'...Celebrate Christmas with our December Writing Challenge winners

Get ready for Christmas by enjoying the winning stories from the Southern Christian Writers Conference December Writing Challenge. 

The challenge? To write a story (1000 words or less) based on the Biblical nativity story. It could feature prominent characters, or lesser known ones; it could also imagine how the first Christmas might have taken place for other characters in the area. The challenge was posted in the SCWC Facebook group (where challenges are shared each month).

We loved the variety of stories submitted to us, and are excited to share the winners with you. (And if you aren't one of our finalists, know that we read and enjoyed each and every story sent to us. It was a joy to read your creations.)

The December Writing Challenge winners (five, because we had such a hard time choosing!) are:


1st place: "The Shepherds Meet the Messiah" by Denise Gray-Dupree

2nd place: "The Three Kings" by Ralph Jarrells

3rd place: "A Special Baby" by Audrey Bivins

Honorable mention: "The Witness" by Sonya Edwards

Honorable mention: "A Christmas Donkey" by Amy Martin


Congratulations to these five winners!

And we're happy now to share their wonderful stories with all of you; may they challenge us to think of the Christmas story with fresh eyes, and inspire us as we celebrate the birth of our savior during this Christmas season.


"The Shepherds Meet the Messiah"

by Denise Gray-Dupree


“I counted forty-two for me. How many do you have?” asked Ray.

“Forty-six,” said Loeb.

“Great! Let us rest here.” Ray sat down before Loeb could respond.

Other shepherds were camping out that night. Wen from West Bethlehem, Alec from the Southside, and several from the Fine Family Wool Company showed up. Other shepherds were camped across the valley. They were all dedicated to protecting their flocks. Sheep thieves were abundant with all the extra people in town for the census. Loeb had chased a pair away from his flock the night before.

“Look at how the stars shine tonight.” Aram Fine said as he sat with his friends Ray and Loeb.

“I can almost see downtown Bethlehem,” said Loeb. They all laughed.

“Yeah, but I do not like ‘census season,’ the streets are overcrowded with strangers. All of them lost and confused,” said Aram.

“I know. I was in town earlier today and saw a man with his pregnant wife just wandering around, looking for a room to rent,” said Ray as he stretched onto his back.

The night became calm. The sheep stopped bleating. A brilliant light covered the entire valley.

An angel of the Lord appeared. The glory of GOD enveloped the shepherds. Everyone fell to their knees, heads bowed, and trembled with fear.

“Father, GOD, what have we done?” cried Ray.

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising GOD. Then they were gone! Aram glanced toward his friends. They stood up and looked at the sky as they spun in circles. All the shepherds gathered around and decided to go to Bethlehem. The believed and agreed that GOD would protect their flocks.

Bright white light lit the normally dark & dangerous road that led to town. With each step, great anticipation grew in each of the shepherds’ hearts. They were about to meet the Messiah.

Once inside the town gates, Loeb noticed a glow hovering over The Adam Inn. “Follow me!”Soon a great audience of shepherds was standing outside the barn behind the inn.

“Look!” one said.

“It is him!” said another.

Aram, Ray, and Loeb fell to their knees and wept. They were in the presence of the long-awaited Messiah.

“GOD has chosen us to see the Messiah,” whispered Ray.

“We were chosen to be here for a reason,” said Aram.

Loeb did not say anything. He stood and nodded his head towards the family and left the barn. Ray and Aram did the same. The other shepherds followed the trio back to the field outside of Bethlehem.

Once there, they all decided to go back home and tell everyone about the Messiah’s birth. They believed it was their assignment to spread this good news.

The teaching of the Prophets had come true, and GOD had a job for the shepherds to do.


"The Three Kings"

by Ralph Jarrells

Joseph was awakened by a frantic known at his room door.

"You have visitors and you need to hurry." Joseph could tell by his uncle's voice that it was urgent. Joseph quickly slipped on his tunic, sandals and his robe and, with his uncle, walked to the front door of the inn. Joseph was a total loss for words. 

It was Melchior, a short heavy man wearing an ornate jeweled crown, who spoke first, "Are you Joseph, husband of Maryamor, mother of the new King of the Jews."

"Yes." That was all Joseph was able to respond.

Balthazar, a tall black man with a heavy beard, next spoke up. "We have traveled from various placed in the Parthian Empire to bring gifts to the new King."

Casper, dressed in more simple robes but with a magnificent golden crown, was the next to speak, "Each of us is a king. We are from different places but met in Jerusalem. We were asking King Herod where the new king was born, Our astronomers had each seen his star. So, we are here to present gifts and pay our respects."

Each of the kings was accompanied by a group of attendants. Melchior was accompanied by his astronomer, his chief priest, 12 mounted guards, 24 servants, 12 liverymen, and 7 storekeepers. Balthazar also brought his astronomer and chief priest, 10 mounted guards, 20 servants, 14 liverymen and 10 storekeepers. Casper also had his astronomer and 12 mounted guards, 20 servants, 10 liverymen and 10 storekeepers.

There were 169 people standing in front of the inn, not to mention 25 camels, as many horses and over 50 donkeys.

Joseph was speechless. So his uncle took charge. "Who is the leader of each entourage?" Lead guars of each group stepped forward. "Take everyone and the animals to the back of the inn. There will be plenty of water there. Gentlemen, if you and your essential servants will join me on the roof, Joseph will get Maryamor and the baby." There were enough cushions for all the kings to be seated. Joseph went back to the room to get Maryamor and the baby, and they joined the royalty on the roof.

Maryamor was glowing when she walked onto the roof carrying the baby.

Casper was the first to speak as soon as Maryamor and the baby were settled. "I am Casper," he said. "I am the king of a principality in Armenia, one of the kingdoms of the Parthian Empire. I am here to celebrate the new King of the Jews. My astronomer reported the star a month ago. My Chief Priest said he would be born in the City of David, so we went to the Jerusalem, the City of David. King Herod knew nothing of a new king, but he did suggest Bethlehem was where King David was born. I bring the new king this jar of the finest Frankincense. A perfume used by the kings of my country."

"I am Balthazar, ruler of the Kingdom of Nineveh. I, too, am here to celebrate the birth of the King of the Jews. In my kingdom, Myrrh is highly valued, as it is a sweet perfume and is essential at the time of death. My astronomer also reported the star. my Chief Priest knew of an old reference that a new king would be born in the birthplace of the great King David. I, too, came to the City of David in Jerusalem. Casper and Melchior met me there. So, we came together to Bethlehem."

"I am the King of Melchior from Persia. All of our kingdoms are in the Parthian Empire. I bring the new king this chest of gold pieces Our wish is that he be told of our visit so that we can prosper together. Great leaders of great people need to league together. We celebrate his birth."

Each king held the baby and kissed his forehead.

Balthazar recounted their visit with King Herod and his demand that they return to Jerusalem to tell him of the young king and where he was. "As we traveled, an angelic being appeared to me and warned us. not to return to Jerusalem The vision told us to return to our kingdoms and not meet with King Herod. I fear King Herod will want to do harm to the baby."

The kings stood as one, indicating they were ready to start their journey home. For the second time, they each kissed the baby's forehead. Joseph and his uncle led the group to the back of the inn. The entire group quickly prepared for their travel. An, as quickly as they appeared, they were gone.


"A Special Baby"

by Audrey Bivins


“Eema, is there any more bread already sliced? Last night, the guests kept asking for more bread. What I have right now isn’t even as much as we had last night,” my dear daughter asked as she hurried into the courtyard, where I am preparing food for our seemingly endless supply of guests. For days on end, we have had more guests than we can hold. It’s good for business, but not good for my sanity, or the sake of our family. I don’t think I’ve even talked to my daughter, my sons, or my husband about anything but food, space, chores, and finding more supplies. These endless guests are eating everything we have in storage, plus more. Every day, when I send my daughter to buy more supplies at the market, I expect her to return and tell me that there are none to be had. So far that hasn’t happened, but it still makes me anxious.

The farmers, herders, and marketmen weren’t exactly expecting a census, and neither were we. I hand Rachel a basket of bread, and continue chopping onion to go into the stew. As I stir the stew, my son Ruben walks through, looking for a broom. He wanders over, smells the stew, takes a bite and smiles as the soup warms him.

“It’s good, Eema,” he says, giving me a quick hug. “But it won’t be enough. You’ll need more. Abba said we have more guests tonight than last night.”

“More? Where could we possibly put them?” I ask exasperatedly, laying down my knife.

The desire to stop cooking, stop preparing, and stop working is strong. I long to leave and find another inn to be a guest in, just for the night. I stuff that ridiculous thought aside; my family needs me, and besides, there are no rooms in any inn. Ruben shrugs in answer to my question, grabs the broom, and heads back into our inn.

After pausing for a few minutes to find some renewed strength and motivation, I head outside to get another pot of water to start more stew. Across the road, under a tree, stands a young woman. She is leaned over, supporting herself against the tree, and even though her figure is obscured by her tunic and headscarf, I can tell that she will have a baby soon. A donkey stands near her, tied to the tree, but I don’t see anyone else. The exhaustion on her face is clear, and I wonder if she is well. Surely she isn’t traveling alone. Where is her husband? Or brother? Or mother?

As I fill my pot with water, I watch the young woman. A gasp escapes me as she suddenly bends forward, holding her large midsection. I recognize that motion, as well as the pain and anxiousness that crosses her face. Not now! Not here! That poor girl! I set my pot down, and move to cross the road to speak to her, but a young man crosses in front of me as if he didn’t even see me. He hurries across the road, immediately going to her. I can’t hear what he says, but it is absolutely clear that he is agitated. He waves his hands as he speaks, and he doesn’t move to comfort her or support her as another spasm causes her to double over.

“Shalom. Is there anything I can do to help?” I ask as I interrupt his tirade that is now clearly about being unable to find a place to stay. Ignoring my question, he continues.

“Not in that inn,” he says, pointing to the one at the end of town. “Nor in that one,” he says, almost in tears, as he points to our inn. “Where do they want us to go? We can’t just stay in the street! You…,” he says, his voice faltering, “you can’t just stay here. You can’t have a baby here!” His voice shakes as he tells his bride about the lack of options.

“You checked at that inn?” I interrupt, pointing to our inn.

“Yes. He turned me down. No room at all. He said everyone was over capacity.” He paused for a moment, before continuing. “I don’t know where to go,” he said, his voice trembling.

His wife grabbed his hand as she bent forward with another contraction. Tears filled my eyes, as I helplessly tried to think of a solution. It was true that our inn was over capacity, and I couldn’t think of any space on our property that wouldn’t already have 3 or 4 people bedded down for the night. There certainly wasn’t any place to bring a baby into the world.

Hopelessly, I looked around at the homes around me, trying to think of anywhere to send the young couple. Just then, Ruben ran from our inn, crossed the street and grabbed my arm.

“Emma, Simion has agreed to let them stay in his stable,” Ruben exclaimed excitedly. I watch the young couple as they look toward Ruben, hope in their eyes. He pauses, looks at me, and then adds a little sheepishly, “It’s really more of a cave. But Simion keeps it pretty clean. I helped him put fresh hay in yesterday, since he lets us keep our two goats there.”

Ruben smiled apologetically, “I think it a better choice than out here.”

The young man grabbed Ruben’s hand. “Thank you!” He took a big breath, pausing to compose himself. “Thank you!” he said again.

The young woman smiled, tired as she was. Placing a hand on her stomach, she said quietly, “Yahweh has made a way.” Glancing at her husband, she added, “For His Son.” As I led the young woman to Simion’s stable, I didn’t understand what she had said. Still, I knew that this baby would be special.


"The Witness"

by Sonya Edwards

From the voice of one calling in the wilderness: “Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.”

Silence – 400 years – no prophet, no preacher. God’s chosen people scattered and living under the oppression of the Roman rule. Unable to find their way out. Looking for the promised Messiah to save them from the hand of the enemy and to establish a new government for the people.

My father, a priest, dutifully prayed for the people and for me. My mother, a descendant of Aaron, and a relative to the foretold Messiah was unable to bare a child. Although righteous in the sight of God, they were losing hope for a child and possibly, the long-awaited Savior.

Until one day the angel of the Lord, Gabriel, appeared. First to assure my father his prayers had been heard for a son and then to assign my mission to prepare the hearts of the people for the one who was before me but who will come after me. Huh?

Filled the power and the presence of the Sender, I was conceived into a barren place both literally and physically. Snuggly nestled in my mother’s womb for six months, I heard the sound of a voice that made me jump for joy. It was her, Mary, a relative of my mother’s and the woman chosen to be the mother of the coming King. She was coming to tell my mother the “good news”. She was chosen by God to birth the Savior of the world.

As with most well-known or highly held figure, there is someone sent before to announce their arrival, to prepare the people for the opening act, to set the stage for the grand performance or entrance. And, so it was for me. I would have the honor and privilege of being the one to come before to announce the arrival of the coming King, to prepare the people’s hearts for the Lord. But no one could’ve imagined the way he would make his entrance, not even me.

What an honor to be part of such a great redemption story. Most people would be envious that they weren’t chosen for the lead part. But I? I had the best seat in the house. Hand-selected by God, filled with the Holy Spirit and placed in the barrenness of the womb and of the world. My job? To be set apart in the wilderness until the time was right to herald the coming of the one whose shoes I wasn’t worthy to tie. Living off the land surviving on locusts and wild honey. Dressed to the “nines” in camel hair. However, my daily commune prepared me to call out to those who were gone astray, deceived in darkness, to repent and return.

Although my mission was set and sure, I would be obscurely heralding the news of the coming King. Not as the angels who gloriously appeared to bring good tidings of great joy.

Or, as a shepherd who went to see and tell of the good news. Not even a wise man bearing treasures and gifts bowing at the feet of the new born King.

Some assumed I was the Messiah. Some guessed that I was Elijah. Some asked if I were a Prophet. But I was none of these. I was simply the voice of one calling in the wilderness – John the Baptiser.

I came to be a witness to the light. The true light that gives light to everyone – the Light of the World.


"A Christmas Donkey"

by Amy Martin

The air buzzed. "It feels like Passover," the little donkey thought. She had been to Jerusalem for Passover before, the city abuzz day and night. She recalled how the activity and buzzing was incessant. Master had taken her with him, and in the beginning she was frightened by the noise. After many Passovers she was used to it.

Tonight, people were everywhere, clamoring, contemptuous, confused. The kind of excitement rarely happened in Bethlehem, but suddenly it was.

Master's home was often a place of rest for travelers going up to Jerusalem or down to Hebron, but there had never been this many guests before.

Her tummy growling, she nuzzled her empty trough, the cold stone a contrast to the warmth of her nose. When morning arrived it would be filled with bits or scraps for her to eat. Master and his children rose when the sun did.

The little donkey liked children. They were kind and gentle, and spoke sweetly and softly as they filled her trough. The children would rub her head between her ears, for there she had an itch she couldn't reach. Children were like her, she thought; they were gentle, soft, kind, joyous and curious, while adults weren't.

She had often wondered when it was that children changed, when they no longer loved to play, linger with her, to laugh when she would bray. What happened to children they made their joyous curiosity change to hardness, abruptness, and harshness!

She settled down into the soft hay, wondering. Her breed wasn't known for thinking and reasoning; donkeys were known as beasts of burden. When humans wanted to degrade and insult one another, they would use words like donkey as modifiers.

Humans said donkeys were lowly and dumb, good for little. She wondered if she was more than that.

Donkeys had long been part of creation. While their strong backs, steady feet and docile nature made them excellent traveling companions, it was their wit that had placed her ancestral donkeys in such place of significance. Eyewitnesses to legendary journeys, travels, and tales.

Here, tonight in her stable, lying net to her empty trough, donkey wondered if she would ever see such legendary things. Her ears twitched back and forth as she entertained the thought that maybe she really was just lowly, dumb and insignificant.

She drifted into sleep, waking when the sun broke the horizon. Her belly rumbled, but she knew soon her trough would be filled. Today was going to be special, maybe with a scrap of barley cake or sweet figs! hr mouth watered in anticipation.

The children entered the stable laughing, the oldest speaking to the younger like the master spoke to her. The smallest one, Ruth, called her Dorothea when everyone else just called her donkey. The oldest barked, "We have to hurry! We are almost at capacity because of the census. More people will arrive today. Hurry up!"

The children began their chores. Ruth extended her hand toward the donkey.

"Good morning Dorothea! I brought something for you." She held an apple. Dorothea ate the treat as Ruth scratched the itchy place. Dorothea nuzzled Ruth, thanking her for the treat. The oldest one barked again, "I said hurry up!" Ruth said her goodbyes and left Dorothea to empty the trough and fill her belly, licking the trough clean.

The day marched on and she remembered the sweetness of the morning. Ruth didn't understand why the oldest one barked so loudly and the little donkey wondered what he meant when he said "census." Is that why Bethlehem was so overcrowded?

By afternoon the clamoring and buzzing grew louder; her ears twitched back and forth, listening. So many knocks on the doors, travelers looking for a place to stay. Many had been granted entrance. As the sun began to lower, the sky turned from blue to pinks and purples. She heard another sound. Steps. Slow, heavy, dragging steps; small grunts and voices.

"You've almost done it, darling. We are here. Soon you'll have this baby and all will be well." There was a sense of panic and desperation woven through the words.

The man who spoke knocked on the door, the slow dragging steps paused. The small grunts did not.

Master, exasperated, slung open the door and the little donkey heard him bellow out, "There wasn't any more room!"

The man pleaded with the master, said something about. his wife's time. They must have a place to rest, a place for her to have her baby. Their vices grew louder as they neared the stable. The grunt persisted

The slow heavy steps quickened and the grunting was more frequent that it had been moments before. Master was uneasy and said he would send for the midwife.

The noises came from a small woman, a child maybe, not much older than Ruth. The man spoke softly, thanking Master for his generous accommodations and for sending for the midwife.

Master left and the two were alone. The man helped his wife down onto the hay, the grunts now groaning. The little donkey felt frightened. The man spoke gently to his wife, "That's it, Mary! You can do it. He's almost here!" The little donkey didn't understand what was happening, who was almost here; the midwife maybe? The woman's groans have way to a low sound. The man was almost shouting, but not harshly--excited like a child. "You did it, Mary! You did it! He's here."

He picked up a baby and crying ensued, air filling his lungs for the first time. Immediately, the little donkey felt the air in the stable change. With that first breath the very atmosphere was different. She brayed and she bowed her head.

The woman held her child, nursed him, and then wrapped him snuggly in cloth.

The woman was exhausted. She placed her baby boy in the little donkey's trough. In that moment little Dorothea knew she had seen something so wondrous that no legend could even compare.


~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry Christmas from all of us at the Southern Christian Writers Conference!



Comments

Popular Posts