A Visit with Lifeway's David Bennett -- Editor Extraordinaire and Encourager of Writers


David Bennett with SCWC coordinator Cheryl
Wray and founder Joanne Sloan

~ David Bennett will receive this year's Joanne Sloan National Award for the Encouragement of Writers at this year's Southern Christian Writers Conference to be held on June 7-8  ~

 
I don't like to say I have favorites in the publishing industry, but I'll make an exception when I admit that David Bennett is one of them.

David is a managing editor at Lifeway Resources, the publishing arm of the Southern Baptist Convention and provider of some of the best magazines in the industry. He's in charge at Home Life and Open Windows magazines, and does a fantastic job creating magazines that inform, inspire, and encourage. (Even for those of who aren't Southern Baptist.) But what makes him especially great is his ability to communicate with writers in a fresh, open, and engaging way.

And we're lucky enough to have him with us for this year's Southern Christian Writers Conference!

David will receive the Joanne Sloan National Award for the Encouragement of Writers, and will present a keynote address in relation to it. He'll also lead a workshop on pitching ideas to magazine editors.

(If you still need to sign up for the 2024 SCWC, fill out our registration form HERE and get ready for a wonderful weekend of instruction, inspiration, and fellowship with leaders like David.)

I recently talked with David about his life and work, wanting to learn a little more about what makes him tick. I went away struck with his zest for life--and his desire to help Christian writers (both aspiring and successful) find their path.

Question: What's life like as a magazine editor? Humorous answers are accepted.

Trilling. Exciting. Never a dull moment.

In all honesty, the work never gets old. Editing a monthly magazine keeps the work fresh. My role involves "heads up" communication to plan issues and acquire writers,  and "heads down" focus on the nuts and bolts of the job. It's a fast-paced business where I'm working on three issues simultaneously and always living int he future.

 You've been with Lifeway for decades now. How has that   experience been, and what are some of your favorite memories of   working there?

When I came to Lifeway in1993, it was the Baptist Sunday School  Board and, soon after, LifeWay with a capital W. I started by editing curriculum for teens on an archaic PC that I thought was so cool because with one keystroke I could create a split screen Wow.  But soon, Yahweh provided a gargantuan desktop Mac, and I've been a Mac man ever since. Although I was hired as an editor, there were times my job required me to travel more than I was at my desk. I ate my way through many famous cities My favorite trip   was  to Great Britain and France in conjunction with a VBS released. Since I've been at Lifeway, I've had six offices in three buildings. Two of those three buildings have been demolished. Lifeway's current office is less than three miles from my home so-- all employees are now remote--I can't use traffic as an excuse for arriving late to a meeting. Best of all, I met my wife Kimberly there on Friday, March 5, 1993, at 2:05 p.m. Central Time.

What advice would you give to writers who are interested in writing for any of your magazines?

Know the magazines. Do your homework. Don't ask what I'm looking for but know what a good fit would be. Never miss a deadline--in fact, consistently beat your deadline. Use your own voice. Be patient. Prepare for your submission to be rejected. Don't confuse your identity with Christ with your identity as a writer.

You are so good with aspiring and successful writers both, and you're the recipient of this year's Joanne Sloan Award for that reason. Why is it important for you to encourage writers? And what makes the writing community special?

David with his wife and three daughters
I really should and could be doing more. One of the reasons I became a writer and now writer-editor was because of the encouragement I received from my teachers (my grades were much better in language arts than what we now know as STEM), parents, and others. Just a small amount of encouragement can go a long way -- and maybe fuel a career! I should be an encourager to everyone: writers, readers, and even STEM-ers.


What's life like outside of your life as a writer and editor?


Thrilling. Exciting. Never a dull moment. I actually enjoy landscaping and propagating (it's legal). I love traveling -- if my family is with me. I'm usually reading two books simultaneously. My three daughters and granddaughter live within nine miles of me. I see them several times a week, and too much Mexican food is consumed. My easel is storage, but I hope to get back to painting.

~~~~~~

Want to learn more about Lifeway's magazines? (David is managing editor of Home Life, the flagship magazine of the company, and Open Windows, its longest-running devotional publication.) 

Here's a look at all of the publications at Lifeway's website.
Check out Lifeway's information about writing for its publications.

Want to know more about this year's Southern Christian Writers Conference? (David will be recognized with the Joanne Sloan National Award for the Encouragement of Writers at Friday night's dinner. He'll also present a workshop on "How to Pitch to a Magazine Editor." He'll also meet with interested writers.)

The 2024 SCWC is June 7-8 at Valley View Baptist Church in Leeds (Birmingham), Alabama.

Join our SCWC Facebook community, which includes daily inspiration and information about writing and provides updates on conference activities.

Visit the SCWC website for information.

Peruse our blog to see articles on different aspects of this year's conference.

We hope to see you in June!



Comments

  1. Great interview. I enjoyed learning about David Bennett. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts