Announcing our June Challenge Winners ... Congratulations!


It's time to recognize the winners of the June Writing Challenge from the Southern Christian Writers Conference! And this one's a special one because it's related to our annual SCWC gathering last month in Birmingham.

The challenge was to write a poem or prayer about your experience at the Southern Christian Writers Conference--and all of the submissions took us back to how wonderful, Spirit-led, and inspiring the conference was. We're so grateful to all of you who attended the in-person conference or received virtual access, and we're appreciative of the submissions so many of you sent in to this month's challenge.

Wow! It was so hard to choose from among the entries, but we're excited to recognize these top submissions:

1st place: Melanie Milton 

2nd place: Aimee Graham 

3rd place (tie) : Tara Seahorn and Bonnie Malone


Enjoy reading their winning entries below!


"Thank You"

by Melanie Milton


I came.

I saw.

I heard.

I soaked up every word.

You displayed your show and tell.

Each presenter presented well.

I learned.

I laughed.

I loved.

Each class fit like a glove.

You guys did much – then more.

Us writers you did not bore!

Now my tasks are in my que

To write and honor you -

For the knowledge that was shown -

My skills have further grown.

Thank you SCWC

For all that you did with glee -

For investing your time and skills

Coaching the Writer who lives in me.


"Someday--A Writer's Prayer"

by Aimee Graham

I asked you what to do and you told me to write. “I’m too young,” I said and waited for someday.

I asked you what to do and you told me to write. "Someday," I said, and went to x-ray school instead.

I asked what to do and you told me to write. "Someday," I said, and became a mystery shopper instead.

I asked what to do any you told me to write. "Someday," I said, and joined a home business instead.

I asked what to do and you told me to write. "Someday,"I said, and became a photographer instead.

The years slipped by as I promised you an ever-elusive "Someday," until one day, I asked you once more what to do and you told me to write. And with sadness and regret, I told you, "I'm too old to start. It's too late."

I had believed every lie the enemy told me, and every lie I told myself, and every excuse that flitted into my imagination. Too young. Too busy. Too old. Someday.

And then, this conference comes to my attention... It was the last minute. I wasn't prepared. I wouldn’t know anyone. It would be too expensive. But I looked into it anyway and I felt that prompting. The one from you that urges me to act, because if it's not now, it may be never. Before I had time to talk myself out of it, I signed up. And I went!

And there my eyes were opened. I met people like me, who procrastinated and dreamed of someday. I wasn't alone!

But even better, I met people who were getting it done. People who had every challenge I had and just did it anyway. They were young and raising children. They were busy and working jobs. They had sorrows and joys and struggles. Some of them were older than me and had been writing for decades. Some were older than me and just getting started. I looked around and found myself with no more excuses. These people were go-getters! I realized that I had been a go-getter all my life, but I had gone after everything except what you told me to go get.

I was embarrassed at the time I had wasted. I don't know what reaction I expected from these other writers, these people who write the words instead of making foolish excuses. Maybe pity or condescension or dismissiveness. Maybe they would think that if I haven't stared before now, I never will. I would have deserved that. But instead I received only encouragement. Every person cheered me on. Every single person told me it's not too late. They spurred me on to just get started. What a gift! What a blessing! Thank you!

You say you will redeem the years the locusts have eaten... but I have fed the years to the locusts with both hands. Will you still redeem, when I have repeatedly wasted what you've given me? I believe you will. I repent of my wastefulness.

I don't want to be like the Children of Israel, wandering in the desert and dying without ever entering the Promised Land. I don't want to miss out on your best while pursuing lesser things. I want to be like Abraham, who got up "early in the morning" to obey you! I want to be like those people I met who write the words you want them to write as long as they have life. I want to go back next year with something other than wasted time to show for myself. 

Help me, LORD, and let it be so. Amen!


"Rejection and Reflection"

by Tara Seahorn

I’ve been rejected so much,

The pain is so real.

And I often forget,

Others know how I feel.

But then...

A conference of learning

And lots of fun.

A conference of writers,

Celebrating the Son!!

It was all I could hope for.

Learning so much.

From blogging and brainstorming

I felt God’s gentle touch.

This conference helped me,

To focus on God,

It’s in his time, not mine

On this path that I trod.

My dream is to share

My heartfelt story,

To touch little one’s hearts,

And give God the glory.

I’ll never give up

Computer, pencil or pen..

If I keep Jesus first,

Then I’m bound to win!


SCWC

by Bonnie Malone



An hour late but on my way,

Listening to a writing podcast

as I drive and pray.

Life’s been a tangled up mess,

But this marks a new season:

Writing—my calling to possess.

You brought me here,

And I’m not alone.

Today, I step into this sphere,

Your blessings clearly shown.



So many smiling new faces;

I’m excited despite my nerves.

Encouraged by worshipful praises,

Lifting hearts and hands to You,

We’re eager to hone our craft,

To encourage and write what is true.



You guide every interaction,

Every word, hug, and exchange—

Admonition to take action.

We’re here not only to receive

But to pray for one another,

And encouraging to achieve.



The weekend seems surreal—

New friends and opportunities,

Deep wounds unexpectedly healed.

Every workshop sparks new thoughts;

I make a list of projects, eager to start,

Zealous and laser-focused on the cross.



The action winds down,

We’re all past exhausted,

But there’s a sweet spirit all around.

With contented smiles on our faces,

We swap numbers and bid good-bye

Like we’re off to the races.

Excited to get a fresh start

On all our new ventures

Imprinted on mind and heart.



The enthusiasm doesn’t end

As we get down to business—

Writing, as on You we depend.

We tackle tough assignments,

Branch out, sharpen our skills,

Put away pride and embarrassment.



In the next few weeks,

Our accomplishments grow,

As we slow down to hear You speak.

We set realistic goals, what to achieve

Before next June when we reconvene.

Knots in our stomachs, we push and believe.

Now, to keep focused on the prize—

Your countenance and these words,

“Well done, my good and faithful servant.”



What wonderful reflections and insights into what the SCWC meant to these writers. We pray that you will continue to feel God's tug, and that your writing will be blessed into the next year and until we meet again at an SCWC activity.

Congratulations again to Melanie, Aimee, Tara, and Bonnie!


~~~~~


Want to relive some memories from this year's SCWC? Here are some photos from the weekend. (Photo credit: Novel Photos)




















Comments

Popular Posts